What is Tarjamaan?
Tarjamaan is an effective tool to translate millions of words and expressions to and from Arabic. In its trial version, Tarjamaan enables you to consult translations in Arabic-English dictionaries and vice versa, These dictionaries have been specifically created to take into consideration the characteristics of Arabic language. Tarjamaan also gives you a wonderful tool which enables you to consult translations of words and expressions in their original contexts with giving you an indicator of the prevalence of each translation.
Why do I use Tarjamaan?
Tarjamaan offers you a tool with many advantages:
- Accurate and detailed translation through Arabic-English and English-Arabic dictionaries.
- More prevalent contextual translations, with giving you several examples for each translation.
- Millions of contextual examples that have been translated by human translators and not by machine.
- Free and does not require any registration.
How do I use Tarjamaan?
We see in this screenshot a section of the search results for the translation of the Arabic word "ساعد". At the bottom of the screenshot, we find the functions of each element according to the number that refers to it.
- Search field: to search for translation of a word or an expression from Arabic to English or vice versa, just enter it in this field and Tarjamaan will automatically recognize the search language and the translation direction then gives you the results.
- Classical dictionary: it is a general dictionary which translates the meaning of the Arabic word which is in a lexeme form. For example in this dictionary we find a translation of words like: ساعد، مساعد، مساعدة، etc. But we do not find a translation of words like: يساعدون، مساعدات، etc. The results of this dictionary are displayed from right to left in that order (the arabic vowelled word - the grammatical category of the Arabic word - English translations separated by semicolons). If there is any word in parentheses in English translation, it is considered as an explanation of its.
- Morphological dictionary: this dictionary depends on the morphological analysis of the Arabic word. It gives different translations according to the meanings and the possible morphological divisions. Thus, we can find in this dictionary translations of various forms of a particular lexeme like: ساعد، يساعد، مساعدة، يساعدون، مساعدات، ساعدن، Etc. To understand how to read this dictionary, see these two examples:
The symbol « / » between words or expressions indicates the choice. If there is any words in parentheses in English translation, it is either an explanation of actual translation or a different morphological form according to the initially chosen pronoun.
- ساعِدْ help/assist This means that there are two possible translations: help, assist
- سَأُعِدّ I will prepare/make ready This means that there are two possible translations: I will prepare, I will make ready
- Detached contextual translations: they are the most commonly translations used in the corpora. Each translation is accompanied by a small colored circle to denote the prevalence of translation: the green circle indicates that the translation is more common, the blue circle indicates that the translation is common, the gray circle indicates that the translation is less common. You can also see the semantics of these colors by hovering the mouse cursor over these circles. These translations are automatically extracted and they are not reviewed. To see examples of only a particular translation, click on it, then click again to return to the original results.
- Examples: they are translations examples of sentences and paragraphs that contain the word or the expression we are looking for it. The latter are shaded in yellow as well as its translation. These examples will help you to choose the most appropriate translation according to the context. Examples are displayed and arranged intelligently to view examples of different translations, According to the spread and the quality of translation. These examples have been translated by human translators and not by machine. These examples are not reviewed and the words and expressions shading may sometimes be inaccurate.
- Report a problem in the selected example, see the source of the selected example: by hovering the mouse cursor over a specific example, a hand icon will be showed us, we can just click on it to report a problem in the selected example(a problem can be an inappropriate translation, An example that contain rude words...), the original source of the selected example will also be showed us which is either from United Nations documents(good quality translation) or subtitles of movies and series(quality translation may be less well).
- Change the language of website interface: this option allows you to change the interface language between Arabic and English.
General notes on use
- Regarding the search results for a word translation from Arabic to English, the same elements described above are present, except for the dictionary part where English-Arabic dictionary is displayed from right to left in that order(unvowelled arabic translation - vowelled arabic translatuion - the grammatical category of the Arabic word).
- When the search uses Arabic letters, you can search for the configuration you want (vowelled or unvowelled) because Tarjamaan distinguishes between the vowelled word and the unvowelled word, but considering the Arabic texts are mostly unvowelled, we recommend the use of the unvowelled configuration then choose the appropriate translation from the results.
- When the search is for an expression that contain several words, only contextual translations part is displayed. If you want to find a different translations of the words that make up this expression within the dictionary, simply search them word by word.
- Tarjamaan is still on trial version, so, do not hesitate to contact us for either a proposal or to inform us about a specific problem. You are always welcome!
Legal considerations about used dictionaries and corpora
- are mainly based on:Buckwalter Arabic Morphological Analyzer Version 1.0 . License:GNU General Public License . References: https://catalog.ldc.upenn.edu/LDC2002L49, Buckwalter, Tim. Buckwalter Arabic Morphological Analyzer Version 1.0 LDC2002L49. Web Download. Philadelphia: Linguistic Data Consortium, 2002.
- Corpus name:MultiUN . License:not specified . References: http://www.euromatrixplus.net/multi-un/, Jörg Tiedemann, 2012, Parallel Data, Tools and Interfaces in OPUS. In Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC 2012)
- Corpus name:OpenSubtitles2012 . License:not specified . References: http://www.opensubtitles.org/, Jörg Tiedemann, 2012, Parallel Data, Tools and Interfaces in OPUS. In Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC 2012)